FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

Discussion on David Powers Homes View next topic
View previous topic

Househunter1
Dud?

David Power Homes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To T-7250

We had been looking at a number of home builders around area and had been undecided on which builder to go with. David Power’s himself then called us and asked what he needed to do to get us to sign up for a David Powers home, he then went onto assure us that we would get a exactly what we were looking for a quality home and that David Powers delivers what they say and what is specified to a high standard. (I think not!!!)
We signed our contract last April and were advised that we would be in the house by Christmas at the latest. After going to the design centre and making all our choices we handed over $12,000 of our hard earned money. May, June, July, August came and went and the house was not stated. Then came hurricane IKE.
David Powers advised that they need to complete a number of houses that had been damaged before they could start our house. October came and went, David Powers then stated that we were at the top of the construction loan list and that the house would be started on November 16th 2008.
My wife and I went round that day with a bottle of champagne to celebrate “breaking ground” only to find the plot had not been touched. On contacting David Powers (The Sales Director) we were told that the construction loan had been denied by the bank, and that the bank had stated that David Powers had under estimated the house cost and that they needed to increase cost of the house price by $25,000 before the bank would issue a construction loan.
We explained that we had a contact with David Powers to build the house for X and if they had got the cost wrong this was not our problem. After a number of exchanges we were then told that the $25.000 was for a construction loan to start to build the house.
At this time we advised the Sales Director of David Powers that we believed that they had broken the contract due to not starting to build the house and we wished to terminate the contract as we had lost all confidence in them to build our house and we require a full refund of our $12,000.
We signed the cancellation forms and issued a latter confirming the events as above.
December came we found out by accident that our original Sales Person and the Sales Director had been laid off or resigned (perhaps rats and sinking ship come to mind)and we had to start dealing with the Director of Business Relations .
The Director of Business Relations was never available only returned 1 in 10 calls and then said she did not know when we would get our money back and would have to speak to David Powers. We went to the offices a number of times to be told that there was nobody available to talk to us.
By this time this whole escapade was making my wife ill.
Eventually we were told that we would not get our money back until early in 2009.
January 2009 after ringing numerous times and getting no response from the Director of Business Relations we spoke to David Powers himself who stated that the business has liquidity problems they had sold the design center, had laid off 100 people , David himself had sold his own home and that the remaining staff had not been paid since November.
David power assured us that we will get our money back but it’s likely to be after the first quarter of 2009, so it’s now April 2009 and the end of the first quarter we will be ring David Powers this week .Do we expect to get our money back soon, we are typing this looking out the window as another Pink Pig Fly’s by.
[/quote]

Flash in the pan

Re: Discussion on David Powers Homes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Househunter 1,

I am sorry for you and your wifes major trauma associated with a builder I had heard nothing negative about. Sometimes I think the chiefs DO convince the indians that all is well and there are just small hiccups going on. So many builders continue to start homes with no intention of finishing them just to stay afloat a few more months on that line of credit. Not all builders would do ...no matter how tough the economy is. I would rather give my buyers BAD News instead of NO news or lies.

Good Luck in your continuing battle to recoup your earnest money. Let us know how it turns out.
real-estate-king
Dud?

David Powers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A good friend of mine just got a call from them after several months of hearing nothing and their home sitting with no windows. I suggest using a Realtor no matter who you purchase from. Visit my website at xxx to see how we can help you
Justin
My head implode

Re: David Powers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

real-estate-king wrote:
A good friend of mine just got a call from them after several months of hearing nothing and their home sitting with no windows. I suggest using a Realtor no matter who you purchase from. Visit my website at xxx to see how we can help you

FYI real-estate-king has been banned due to spamming our boards with his website/soliciting business, which is against forum rules.

Cherry Bomb

Aww ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Justin -

LMAO. That is good.

I know that several of us were loading our canons to blast him out of the sky, but you took the killshot.

Good one.

TTB
houston
Nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Touché. I couldn’t agree more.

Dud?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Triedntrue:

We called David Powers last week and he advised that they are in a worse position now than advised back in January 09. I am not sure what to believe.

Dud?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Househunter1 - what are you waiting on?? File suit already or you will never get your money back.
th71
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Any updated news with victims of David Powers Homes?

Dud?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i just found this site via another site. i am a concrete contractor in houston and i got burned by david powers myself. in 2 1/2 months of doing business (against advice of a couple poeple) he racked up a total of around $70,000 in bills. to date he still owes me about $42,000. i have gotten the run around on every single dime. every time we speak he has a different story. IMO they used a few people in their office to run you around to drag things on. i spent 3-4 months trying to get in touch with christine spencer who was his CFO and per mr powers recomendation was the person who could help me get paid. in countless tries she called me back 1 time, i spoke to her a total of 2 times and never recieved an email reply. eventually i decided to only speak to david himself. while a very "friendly" person he is nothing more then a sales person telling you what you want to hear most of the time. i have recieved all the same "stories" about him selling his homes, selling his race cars and how the bank will not finance his payroll and so on.

as for selling his home, he did BUT he moved into another home in the same subdivision (royal oaks which is the 2nd most expensive community in the houston area behind carlton woods in teh woodlands) on a lease. i do business in this community and have actually seen his truck and him there. (granted it has been a couple months since i have been there). he still owns at least 1 lot in the same community that is worth a MINIMUM of 500,000 and other lots go for closer to 800k.

he called me personally in early april asking me to take $.50 on the dollar for a house i did work on so they could get it closed. after talking to a few people i agreed (half is better then never seeing a dime) and i was assured the home would close that month. he told me the bank would contact me to come in and sign a lien release and they would hand me a check at that time. not from powers but from the lender themselves. here we are in june and still no call. i have driven by the home several times and it still has a "sold" sign but nobody lives there yet.

3 homes he owes me money on have people living in them, and all 3 he has told me more then once "we have had to lease the home to those people until we get 20-30,000 to pay at closing because they have beaten my price down below my cost.

he has been seen driving around with other builders (2 of which are my customers) and the rumor is he is trying to work with some other builders to either "reopen" or start a new company.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic