FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

Discussion on Jim Walter Homes View next topic
View previous topic

autopost
Schumpeter Reincarnate

Re: Discussion on Jim Walter Homes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://builder-implode.com/imp.....01-06.html
cranky yankee
Dud?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Little wonder JWH has folded-for a second time. The homes they built were what you would expect to find in a Potter-ville. Due to the fact that everything was subbed out and the crews were paid a flat rate, the workmanship was utter c**p. I owned a Jim Walter Home and had problems from the foundation up. Starting with the foundation, they didn't get a required inspection prior to pouring the footings. Then the framers had so many walls out of plumb and out of alignment, most had to be rebuilt. Wall board, subfloor and sheathing was only half nailed. Wrong shingles were put on the roof and then covered with over-spray from painting. What a three-ring circus. Ended up withholding the sign-off and filed a complaint with Florida DPR to get any action. Had the president of the company come down and agreed it was c**p but never made good on punch list.
houston
Nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know too much about JWH but it sounds like they suffered a management breakdown. What Cranky Yankee described was a direct result of an untrained superintendent or the result of building a house via the telephone and not in the field. In any event, poor management allowed that to occur.

Dud?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Then the framers had so many walls out of plumb and out of alignment, most had to be rebuilt. Wall board, subfloor and sheathing was only half nailed. Wrong shingles were put on the roof and then covered with over-spray from painting.

Hmnm. May be you are right about them but i actually never heard anything seriously bad about their walls out of plumb or anything which required rebuilding. What are the others reviews?

Dud?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They could just be going under because of the economy. It's been really hard to get the proper funding to build homes where I live in Florida. Every contractor will have someone that isn't happy with their work. It happens to the best of us so I doubt there going under for doing poor work on their homes.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic