FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

since we're all so damn brilliant View next topic
View previous topic

halve
Flash in the pan

since we're all so damn brilliant
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i thought we could have an investment board. granted, none of us have any money but figured we could learn a few things from eachother. I'll start. I hate stocks, i think they are a crapshoot unless you're an insider. thoughts?
________
vaporite solo vaporizer
________
Suzuki Intruder history
________
growing marijuana

Last edited by halve on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Justin
My head implode

Re: since we're all so damn brilliant
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree a lot about stocks ... they are a crapshoot unless you're a genius ... or at least, I can't figure the damn things out.

Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i'll just reply to your post re: i don't have money to invest.

Well, that is the position that most of us have when we're in our 20's. so, what do you do? do you find partners who have money? do you leverage more? if so, to what point? i am buying real estate with teh intention of flipping in a couple of years. will I make money on it? dunno, but you do make money on the buy in real estate and since I work for a developer that sorta helps but you never know.
Anyway, that's how i am trying to build up money so that I can get into cash flow ops i.e. commercial, etc.

How do you plan on doing it? cutting expenses? leverage? partnerships?
________
website host
________
P
________
List of motorcycles

Justin
My head implode

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

halve wrote:
i'll just reply to your post re: i don't have money to invest.

Well, that is the position that most of us have when we're in our 20's. so, what do you do? do you find partners who have money? do you leverage more? if so, to what point? i am buying real estate with teh intention of flipping in a couple of years. will I make money on it? dunno, but you do make money on the buy in real estate and since I work for a developer that sorta helps but you never know.
Anyway, that's how i am trying to build up money so that I can get into cash flow ops i.e. commercial, etc.

How do you plan on doing it? cutting expenses? leverage? partnerships?

I don't know exactly ... just try and save and invest ... of course, then if you're buying a house, you have to drop all the equity into your house and start again from scratch. Kinda sucks, ya know?

Re: your real estate, are you concerned at all about the housing market bubble bursting? Seems like precarious times to be in residential real estate ... how does that effect commercial? Which are you in again?

Apparently, the NAHB housing market index fell sharply from 51 in April to 45 in May, the lowest level in more than 10 years ... cause for concern?

Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

on npr a few weeks back (i think it was the program marketplace), they had a guy on there that basically said what you are saying halve, that the stock market is a c**p shoot. if that's the case, what are the best alternatives?

i wonder a few things about the real estate bubble:

1. is the bubble going to burst like tech stocks? tech stocks actually lost value. do people expect real estate to actually lose value, or just stop increasing in value?

2. if real estate actually loses value, are we not potentially looking at something on par with the great depression? people would be forced to try and ride out the bubble, or if they sold their homes, take a loss. seems thousands (millions??) of bankruptcies would ensue.

3. because real estate markets are so localized, are we really looking at a nationwide bubble, or just a lot of local bubbles? the atlanta market hasn't seen the same growth as say san francisco, miami, or dc. seems like atlanta wouldn't feel as much pain if a bubble bursts.

4. is the bubble really going to burst, or will it be more of a slow deflation? my experience in looking at real estate here in dc is that people aren't losing money on their homes, they just aren't getting as much. from a buyer's perspective, homes aren't selling as fast, and in fact some are actually being reduced--they'll start with a listing of say $510,000 and then 10 days later the listing drops to $480,000, 10 days later it's $450,000. two years ago it would have been listed at $490,000 and with multiple bids would have sold for $540,000. but even if it sells at the $480,000, the owners are making big bucks since most of them purchased the homes for $200,000, or even less. the problem of course, is for the people who were in the bidding wars.
halve
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know how to do that cool white out thing Neal so in response to your statement below:
Re: your real estate, are you concerned at all about the housing market bubble bursting? Seems like precarious times to be in residential real estate ... how does that effect commercial? Which are you in again?

It is definitely a concern. Here's the way I look at real estate. As long as you buy well (relative of course) but I am pretty sure I am buying well based on a number of factors and here's the key part: you can cover your debt payments for at least a couple of years which fortunately I should be able to do. If the market goes down then I'll hold and if it goes up then I say bye bye after a year at least for the tax break.

I am in residential resort style meaning coastal, lake, mtn.

I am hearing that commercial buildings are being way overvalued. Commercial buildings, like apartments are valued based on their cash flow and from what I understand people are paying far too much for them and speculating too much.

Los, you make some good points. I do believe it is regional, I mean some placed in South Dakota for example went down so clearly it is regional. That being said, the baby boomers are clearly the ones driving the market and the area I am in actually benefits from Florida being smacked by hurricanes b/c they move up here. Also taxes are very low here.

I would not touch anything in Cali, Florida (south of Orlando), condos as a whole, among other places unless it was a ridiculous deal.

As far as crashes go, r.e. can definitely lose value, but crashes are like 20-40%. significant? absolutely but sure as heck better than going to zero. Also, just take a look at California. In the early 90's it "crashed" and b/c there is no more real estate that will ever be created, it of course rebounded with a vengeance. I see a crash, so to speak, as the time to buy like a madman.

R.E. is the epitome of capitalism and I don't see it dropping like a rock unless something like Delta going out of business happens. Obviously Peachtree City will be a ghost town should this happen. But that is extremely regional.

If anything all of the boomers are coming south which can't hurt the south market. One other factoid I saw on Yahoo the other day. There are 8.6 million millionaires in the U.S. and that is excluding any equity if their primary home.
________
Ford River Rouge Complex
________
no2 vaporizer
________
[URL=http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_AP3_Hearse_Built_by_R.F.Weber_(Australia)]Chrysler AP3 Hearse Built by R.F.Weber (Australia)[/URL]

Justin
My head implode

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

FYI, in responding, if you hit the "quote" button on the person you're responding to's post, it'll insert the text ... another way is to cut and paste what you are responding to, highlight it, and then click the "quote" button on the "post a reply" page.

Dud?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

long time reader first time writer.

I have been thinking about buying me a house down here in the ATL, but to be honest, it scares the sh!t out of me to buy a house. I know that i have the money for the down payment and can pay my mortgage payments without any problems, my only problem is that I don't think that i would be able to cover the hidden cost of home ownership, i.e. if the dishwasher breaks, or the A/C breaks. I just don't think that i could cover all the cost of maintaing the house. However if i thought that was my biggest problem i would have just bought one by now.

I am just straight up scared of such a huge committment. It is a huge purchase and what do i really know about homeownership; i literally have lived in an apt. my entire life. At some point i think that i am going to have to just suck it up and take the risk, but it is such a big deal, its not like i can just say 'naw, here take it back i don't think i can do it'.

I am dealing with the same struggle with buying a new car. Both of these things I have never done and I am very afraid of being in debt. I never carry a balance on my CC, and i never overdraft my bank account. I am very anal about not owing money anywhere and both of these things require that you be indebted to the bank. There is just such a burden with ownership and i can seem to get around it.

Other Things that i struggle with in buying a home:
What neighborhood?
What is my price range, realistically?
Taxes?
What area of town?
How bad do the suburbs suck?
What can i live with or without?
How do i reconcile the fact that i can't afford to live anywhere near where i want to live and own property?

Halve, nice to hear you are still alive. Where you workin these days?
Los, hows the hunt going?
Juice, how bout them rotties?!?!

94 days till UGA football season begins!
halve
Flash in the pan

t binner
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I love the Coach Call in show reference.

As for your questions re: house purchase I hear ya man. I will say there are a ton of advantages if you can afford a house. For example, all of the write-offs you get, actually building equity (takes a while but it happens). I would say always have 3-6 months worth of expenses in an emergency fund account in case anything like the A/C goes out, etc.

Personally, I am not a fan of putting a lot of money into depreciating assets (cars); houses for the most part appreciate and there are also numerous tax breaks you get so definitely put money toward a house. You can use your 401k money if you have any (i have 300.00 so that's impressive) for a downpayment without penalty which is a beautiful thing.

A good friend of mine is very sharp who lives in ATL and if you would like to have him help you a buy a house I will let him know. Everyone who purchases with him raves about the deal they get plus he's got a bunch of integrity and will actually work for you and not just try to get a commission.

You can also give him your annual income and you guys can talk through a price range you feel comfortable with and what are you want to be. From there he'll find the good deals and you can see if ya like 'em.

I live in Washington, GA which is 2 hours east of Atlanta. I am working for a developer selling lake property. How they heck are you doing, where you workin these days?

If you have any real estate stuff you want halve input on lemme know, I may be able to help.
________
Triumph Trident T150
________
Yamaha FZR400 history
________
Honda MT250

Tbinner
Dud?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I appreciate the offer for help. I have am going to wait it out a little longer, but will definetly use you as a resource when it comes time to do the darn thing.

I decided yesterday that i would go look at cars so i went to World Toyota on Peachtree Ind. and looked around and decided that i would ride it out and learn as much as I can from the experience. Seeing as though I have never bought a car off of a lot i wanted to know what it was like before i actually do it and I gotta tell ya, I learned a lot from those guys and they almost talked me into it. But they didn't.

I didn't want to buy a car the 1st time out and to be honest it is just flat out expensive. The car was a little under 30K and with 6k down payment, the payments were still over $500, i was amazed. And they were graciously going to give me $500 for my current ride, which pissed me off, but whatever. I am going to have to sell that bad boy my self. What i learned is that it is all a big show and that you have to be ready to get up and leave at any time. The thing that is weird to me is that they can always do better on the price, the more stubborn you are, but they will always get you in the end, which sucks.

Halve, i work in Medical Consulting and Software in the Sales and Marketing team as a sales analyst, which just means that i do all the stuff that leads up to the sale. So i get none of the glory and all of the paperwork. Maybe one of these days i will get out of cleaning lettuce and make it up to fries (Coming to America reference). I live in a high rise in buckhead and have a great girlfriend for the last 2.2 years. Trying to get back into some golfing after a very long hiatus. Everything is going pretty well, just need my job to come around and give me some more money and I will be doing amazing.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic