FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

David Powers Homes - Houston View next topic
View previous topic

DPH
Dud?

Check for Liens
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok to check for Liens (if your property is in Harris County (Houston)) go to this url
http://www.cclerk.hctx.net/

Select the Search Databases red button on the right. This will bring up a new window.
Select the Real Property link.
You should now be at the "Real Property Inquiry System"

Now the next part depends if you own the property already. If you do own the property, in the middle of the page, select the "Grantee" option then type in your last name then a space then your first name. You can narrow the search by typing in the current year but its not required then click "Inquire".

If you dont own the property yet, select "Grantee" and in the name enter David Powers Homes. Now since they have so many liens and releases you will not only need to enter the current year but also enter specific months, then select "Inquire".

Ok after you select inquire you will get a return of all the records filed. What you are looking for are records filed as "L AFFT" or Lien Affidavit. You will see the grantor (vendor) that has filed the lien along with the section, lot and block info. After a vendor is paid they file a lien "REL" release.

Now if you want to see the actual lien filed that includes the dollar amounts you just need to print out or note the "File No" and go to your local county clerk branch and they will let you view the lien online in its entirety and they will print it out for you for a small fee. They also have a legend to explain all their file codes like L AFFT, etc

Please let me know if you have any questions.....
unknownsource
Dud?

LIENS ARE GOING TO BE AND HAVE BEEN PLACED
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To just let you ...They owe a lot of people a lot of money and there is a class action suit about to be filed from vendors, myself included. They owe me more than $8k and kept putting me off for over a year. I stopped working for them back in April, after hoping they would pay me for almost a year. They never answered emails, gave us false information when they did and finally when we backed out of handling their stuff, decided they wanted to dispute everything.

STAY AWAY FROM DAVID POWERS, HE IS MORE CONCERNED WITH PLAYING WITH HIS RACE CARS THAN HE IS ABOUT BUILDING YOUR HOME OR PAYING HIS PEOPLE!!!
DPH
Dud?

Re: David Powers Homes - Houston
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes they owe virtually all their vendors large amounts of $$. DPH is moving out of their main offices on Westheimer tomorrow and into a model home somewhere in sugarland.
th71
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When would be the best time for us to demand a reduction in price?

Dud?

Today
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tell them that you have enough proof to show gross negligence as a business on their behalf. You are a consumer, and as such have rights. They are a business and must follow strict guidelines. They have failed you and are asking for more money.

Ask yourself ...would you buy a car and then the car company comes back to you and says "Oh well if you want brakes you have to put down a deposit or pay the full price for them now." I wouldnt, I would take my money elsewhere and get a car that I know I am going to get my brakes, and engine, and all that without them calling me asking for more money. Plus a judge will look more favorably on a client than he ever will a vendor.

For all the breaks their vendors have cut them and all that you have been through they should give you this home for FREE!!!!

I own a cleaning service in and around Houston, and handle multiple home builders. In my opinion, DPH is the worst, not only in paying, but in "bang for your buck". David Weekly has great homes, but do not feel they always utilize their space as well as some others. Meritage too. Tremont seems to make subpar homes. Lennar, it truly depends on the community. My personal opinion is Wilshire and Newmark are your best options. I have seen these homes inside and out and know how well they are built.

My personal suggestion would be to back out of DPH homes completely if you can(depends on your contract, your loan, and if you have a good lawyer). Try and transfer that significant amount of money you are spending on the American Dream over to a home builder that will treat you right, will give you more for what you want and maybe even at a cheaper price.

Good luck and keep me updated. If you have any questions or need some info just ask me I am happy to provide for you.
DPH
Dud?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

th71, you are in unchartered waters as far as figuring out how to negotiate your deal. The only leverage you have is to just walk away and buy another house. Another option would be to close early and finish out the house yourself by hiring your own contractors. The problem is your lender may or may not go for that. Most lenders havent come around to the current reality in home building. Banks wont pay till the job is complete, vendors wont do anything till they get paid up front which causes a stalemate of sorts. So DPH uses money from one house or buyer to pay for things on other houses etc. The last one without a chair to sit on will be toast.
th71
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We were informed last week that our home will take at least another 5 weeks until completion. We will be making our offer in about 3 weeks.

We doubt they will accept the offer as it takes into account everything that is going on at DPH. DPH has moved out of their corporate office on Westheimer and is now officing in a model home in Lakes of Bella Terra.

If they don't accept our offer, we will be walking away from over $15K...sad to say that if they don't take the offer, it will be worth walking away from. Our offer will be about 17% off the list.

Dud?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well the only way your home will be finished in 5 weeks is if you are using your own money to finish the house. Even then only if you are down to finishing tile work, flooring, carpet, landscaping, gutters, A/C units, and appliances. What specific stage is the house in? Has the interior been painted? DPH has no money to prepay any vendors so unless you are finishing it yourself its not happening any time soon.
th71
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DPH - the interior has been painted. 80% of the tile work has been done. cabinets are in, but granite is not, but is being templated this week. Received word yesterday that they expect to have the trim fixtures in next week and the flat work completed by the end of nextg week.

We're not giving them another dime, so if they can't pay for it, it won't get done.

Dud?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

th71 I think that is a smart plan. There is no point putting $$ into a house that you dont own. I know some of our neighbors have but I dont recommend it. If you are not in a bind due to living arrangements I would wait it out. Although there is a possibility of them going bankrupt, you may be able to buy the home at a discount prior to completion and finish it yourself.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic