FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

When a dog dies... View next topic
View previous topic

mplsbeatnik
Flash in the pan

When a dog dies...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My best friend, Gladys, passed away unexpectedly Saturday morning. She was almost 10 years old, and had a very difficult start to her life. She has been behind every decision I have made for over 8 years.

Comments about her, from friends in Chicago, Wisconsin, and here, include:

Oh my god. I am sooo sorry. You were the best parent a dog could hope for. I know she had all the best of everything. I loved her too. She was the most amazing, loving, unique dog. I will never forget her. Take care of yourself and know you did everything you possibly could have.

I'm sorry for your loss Jeff. Gladys was a great dog! She was the first Pitbull to show me how awesome that breed can be. My thoughts are with you.

Lori and I feel so bad. I truly enjoyed being "greeted" by her every time I stopped over. She was a sweetheart.

Its not fair. Its not fair. Its not fair. How does the most beautiful thing in the whole world just get taken away like that. I have never loved anything so unconditionally and to have her gone is devastating.I had Gladys (in my heart). She was my life line. My baby, the deepest love I have ever known. I always talked about you and her, and was so proud because she was amazing. There will never be another like her. Every day I cry my eyes out and hope that the bad dreams won't come.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mp.....ys19982007

I am lost.
Robin
Sentinel

Re: When a dog dies...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MlpsBeatnik, I am truly sorry for your loss. I've lost numerous pets and they were like family members. I can't imagine losing my cat "Stewart, Lord Czar of the Realm" but I know it will happen. Damn cat sits on my hands, the mouse, and/or the keyboard when I'm online, trying to draw attention.

I've had dogs, too, and either way the feeling is the same. My "Johnny" was lost yrs ago, but I grew up with that dog.

It's like friends we can never replace, and I understand 100%.

Remember what you had, and treasure that. Pictures aren't replacements, but they're darn good reminders.

Schumpeter Reincarnate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

sorry to hear about your dog and the hole you are in; talk it out here, we'll listen

Voltaire
mplsbeatnik
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you.

Tracy, the 1st comment from my initial post, said:
I don't understand. What happened? She wasn't that old. I know she had some problems but what happened? So upsetting. I don't get to see her again.

I'm so sorry.

Please tell me what happened.

We just don't really know. The weekend before Christmas she was on meds for a minor eye injury, it went away but the meds made her stop eating so I stopped them. (antibiotics and anti-inflammatory) Her eye healed just fine and she did not need them anymore. She ate fine during the week, came with us to Bruce for Christmas, etc.

Then on Wednesday and Thursday she seemed to be in a lot of pain, in her hip area, to the point that I was not sure if I would be going with Becca and her sister and two other friends on a planned trip to MI...we had a hotel room in Ironwood Saturday evening and a room way up there for Sunday and Monday...

She seemed to really respond when I massaged her hip.

Then Friday night Gladys attacked a bone with vigor, so I decided we were all going.

Saturday she woke us up like always to be fed...early...ate...went out...got on the couch...Becca and her sister were petting Gladys and then left for the grocery store...

I came out of the computer room 15 minutes later and Gladys was on the floor by the couch, I noticed her rear legs were not "right"...then I noticed a little bit of puke under her snout...and said out loud "...no...no...no..." as I tried to get her to respond...

I freaked out and called my dad, crying, asking what I should do...then called Sarah (no answer) and the vet...and my dad and Becca...I somehow got Gladys into the garage and car alone without letting any part of her touch the ground...at the vets we took her in on a stretcher, the vet touched her mouth and said she is absolutely gone.

I was given the option to pay $40 and have her cremated, or $85 and get her ashes back. I paid and left. Becca ended up going down there to see her, and say goodbye.

I called the vet this morning and explained that I had some questions...I went over the entire thing (above) with her...my thought is we have no idea what happened.

The vet thinks it must have been a "blood clot" that possibly hit her brain or lungs. I do not know exactly what that means. We just don't know. The vet thinks there is some significance between her recent pain, of course. I really don't know. She was extremely physically healthy and active...there was a lot more we had to do together. I am not doing very well. The house is really quiet...and going to MI without her (she had come with so many times) was like having a missing team member...I guess she was my best friend. The only good thing is that there was no noise...no struggle that I was aware of. I really, really wish I would have been out in the living room to be there with her.

Lots of tears. It is pretty hard for me to do anything, or think about anything, right now. It all leads back to Mrs. "Happy-butt." (glad ass)
Robin
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Before you get us all crying along...

Many of us had/have pets and understand all too well.

It sounds like u did everything you could, within reason.

You did your best to respect her, at no small cost.

Dogs/cats.. they have this tendancy to go for privacy when they know it's time. I know that's no comfort for you at this moment, but it is their nature.

I can't begin to console your loss - have no idea the connection you had. But I've dealt with several myself, and I revel in the memories I had. It helps a lot.

Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

jeah...buyerbeware said let it out..so I simply pasted some e-mail communication that told the story. I surely do not feel like going through it every time I run into one of my friends...which is what happens, especially when they all identified with her in their own way.

Anyway...you are right on and you have taught me a lot, here, whether I totally agree with everything you say or not. (rmedecke) You all rock.

Thanks.
buyerbeware
Schumpeter Reincarnate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can you tell us how you came to your friendship with Gladyss? How are the kids dealing with this loss?

I am feeling a sick feeling for you and I wish you well

Voltaire
mplsbeatnik
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sure. I am 33, married, and have no kids...but two other dogs that are paying no attention whatsoever.

I took Gladys from a "friend" that was breeding too many dogs, I was in college, I already had one dog, she was in a kennel full of sprinkle. I took her for a weekend and would not give her back.

She "howled" when walking up the stairs to go outside...I rented a basement room (really bad) my senior year - 1998 - my parents had bred lots of dogs and I had volunteered at a local humane society for over a year so I knew she was special.

She developed a signature "howl" that she used whenever myself, my wife, or anyone stopped by. At first glance you would think she was going to kill you...but once you realized her hair was not standing up and she was wagging her tail...ahhh...

Thank you. No-one else seems to be interested in this one, which I surely understand.
Robin
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't think for one minute the folks on here can't sympathize

Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Right, but some of "us" have 112 loans to close this month, right?

Good times. Great oldies.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic