FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

corporate america View next topic
View previous topic

zippyzack
Dud?

corporate america
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to the machine, baby...
My analogy of my day in corporate America...
Every morning I get up as filet mignon...by the end of the day I return home having been put through the corporate grinder and end up more like ground chuck...yuck. Welcome to corporate America where you are a statistic...the sacraficial lamb giving up all that you truly are to drive the money machine. Someone's getting rich off your talents. Kiss it goodbye and take the plunge.
Justin
My head implode

Re: corporate america
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pretty good analogy ... my own:

In corporate America, you start out imagining the possibilities out on the frontier of business. You're a cowboy. The days wane on, you run out of food and die of heat stroke. The last image? Vultures surrounding you picking at your decaying corpse.

Cherry Bomb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am with you all! I tried the Big Corp world with CW in 2001. I closed my prospering business for a base salary, bonus, benefits and retirement options after 911. 911 scared us so badly we thought it would be a safer place.

Those people took away my family life, caused me to throw up from the stress and worry every day about my job. It was never enough, more more more!

I almost lost my marriage over the damn job because I rarely was home and when I was I was too tired and stressed out to get along with anyone.

The one good thing it did for me was realize that I never needed to try to fix what wasn't broken. I reopened my business and am happy again, financially strong and all my clients followed me!

Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm anxious to hear the proposed alternatives to the corporate model.

Not poking fun... being serious. Everyone loves to bash corporations, but why? Is it better working for a Mom & Pop? Not everyone can own their own business. So besides subsistance agriculture or working for the local shop, what's the alternative?
Robin
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No expert here, by any measure. But wouldn't you agree the smaller regional/community-based operations have an advantage now? The big conglommerates have lost touch by sheer virtue of their size and a need to "trim" their operational and valuation processes. They're scaling back to national operational centers (or off-shoring), and further losing touch with their client base as a result.

Tell me if I'm totally off-base. I'm used to being corrected, and have come to enjoy it.

Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a very good question. I'm not sure that there is evidence to support that, though I think in many ways we would like it to be true. There is a certain homogenization of our culture that has been the result of takeover of national, rather than regional or local, businesses that we find somewhat repulsive. However, it's important to remember that this was not a top-down fiat from some central planning group. WE created this-- WE voted with our pocket-books, as we might be expected to as rational economic actors. We like the concept of small, independent businesses, but we didn't keep our business there. Rather, we moved it to the nationals who were offering lower pricing. So in this sense, I'm not seeing any immediate change to this dynamic.

One disadvantage that the big, public companies have, however, is an apparant focus on short-term strategy, as encouraged by the awarding of stock-options as opposed to restricted stock rights. Further, Wall Street compounds the problem by demanding a constant, infinite incremental increase in growth. This is not sustainable. Wall Street may be a demanding task master, but it's not very good at inspectiona and follow-up. However, this has not seemed to change the previously mentioned shift away from smaller, private businesses much at all.

It will be interesting to see, to the extent the current economic problems continue unabated, how this plays out. Clearly, in financial services, there are some privately held companies that are doing much better than their more unwieldly public competitors. Further, privately held companies have the advantage, during a downturn, of not having to face shareholder panic and flight. On the flip-side, they cannot grow as fast or compete as well in boom times since their access to capital is not as broad.
Dollar_guy
Papermint Schnapps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

BarbedWireSmile wrote:
It's a very good question. I'm not sure that there is evidence to support that, though I think in many ways we would like it to be true. There is a certain homogenization of our culture that has been the result of takeover of national, rather than regional or local, businesses that we find somewhat repulsive. However, it's important to remember that this was not a top-down fiat from some central planning group. WE created this-- WE voted with our pocket-books, as we might be expected to as rational economic actors. We like the concept of small, independent businesses, but we didn't keep our business there. Rather, we moved it to the nationals who were offering lower pricing. So in this sense, I'm not seeing any immediate change to this dynamic.

One disadvantage that the big, public companies have, however, is an apparant focus on short-term strategy, as encouraged by the awarding of stock-options as opposed to restricted stock rights. Further, Wall Street compounds the problem by demanding a constant, infinite incremental increase in growth. This is not sustainable. Wall Street may be a demanding task master, but it's not very good at inspectiona and follow-up. However, this has not seemed to change the previously mentioned shift away from smaller, private businesses much at all.

It will be interesting to see, to the extent the current economic problems continue unabated, how this plays out. Clearly, in financial services, there are some privately held companies that are doing much better than their more unwieldly public competitors. Further, privately held companies have the advantage, during a downturn, of not having to face shareholder panic and flight. On the flip-side, they cannot grow as fast or compete as well in boom times since their access to capital is not as broad.

Have you seeing the movie "A Beautiful Mind"??... not questioning you or anybody, but I am interested in your input... remember, that movie was inspited in a real life, global economics.....
Ricky Roma
Dud?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

zippyzack wrote:
Welcome to the machine, baby...
My analogy of my day in corporate America...
Every morning I get up as filet mignon...by the end of the day I return home having been put through the corporate grinder and end up more like ground chuck...yuck. Welcome to corporate America where you are a statistic...the sacraficial lamb giving up all that you truly are to drive the money machine. Someone's getting rich off your talents. Kiss it goodbye and take the plunge.

Maybe if you don't like it you should look for another job......
youngdragon_76
Dud?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well...time to change the Corporate America model!!

Check this out guys!!!

WWW.CORPORATEROCKSTAR.COM

I am pretty sure all of us that are in the mortgage industry can really relate to what this NEW magazine is offering!!

Any volunteers??
Merlin
Nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

BarbedWireSmile wrote:
I'm anxious to hear the proposed alternatives to the corporate model.

Not poking fun... being serious. Everyone loves to bash corporations, but why? Is it better working for a Mom & Pop? Not everyone can own their own business. So besides subsistance agriculture or working for the local shop, what's the alternative?

I think what has been lost is that a corporation forgets how it became one
It was their people.
How many of you assisted a flegling corporation become successful only to see the higher ups who we brought in because of their resume' to manage after you helped to start it and make it succeed, screw it up.
Corporate America has forgotten who got them there and the principals you instiled in the business
As history proves, When corporations forget people, you can forget the corporation
Just my input

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic