FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

Grand Homes hiring every week.... View next topic
View previous topic

NewHomeDallas
Dyn-o-mite!

Re: Grand Homes hiring every week....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lost:

When I said zero, it was because it statistically zero. It's like the recent Mega Millions. If you bought 1 ticket or 1,000 tickets, your chances of winning were statistically zero, although someone did win. It's like in our business selling an engineer for cash on Christmas day that actually closed. It is statistically zero, but I know someone who did it.

I know some very good sales people who have sent out hundreds of resumes and not gotten a call, let alone an interview.

The problem with getting a job with a company that everyone in the business turned down is that when the market comes back in 2-3 years, you won't get a job with a good builder. There are certain builders that if they are on your resume, the resume is thrown out. It's like having an active real restate license. Some builders won't interview anyone with an active license.

You can send resumes and knock on doors. You can offer to intern at no pay, although this might not be legal because of minimum wage laws. You can offer to work for reduced commissions, although this will alienate the other sales people.

Keep trying, you might end up the statiscal anomoly; although I doubt it.
Nelson
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am not sure why you think new home sales for a builder is the dream job, but my opinion would be to try to obtain a $10 an hour hostess / sales assistant job. Do not start at the corporate offices. Start by introducing your self to the onsite salespeople at the new home subdivisions nearest to where you live and see if they are looking for someone.
By focusing on neighborhoods near where you live you can at least be an expert to customers about the schools, local activities etc.
If you are lucky and work hard the salesperson will actually train you and you will be in a position to obtain a sales job when the (1) the market improves, (2) they lay off or move the salesperson and you are a low cost alternative, (3) you wow the sales manager into giving you a chance to move up.
This is not a sure thing by any means, but in my opinion is your best shot. I have actually seen a few people make this work, but not many.
mikestrong
Cherry Bomb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lost wrote:
NewHomeDallas wrote:
Lost:

You have zero chance of getting hired and it has nothing to do with you. The only job you could get is for a builder or location that everyone in the business turned down; I know of many of those. Unfortunately, you would make no money.

Thank you, NewHomeDalls for your opinion. Well, by my humble opinion there is a huge principal difference between "zero chance of getting hired" and "job you could get is for a builder or location that everyone in the business turned down". So it is not a zero chances I see. There is a chance is not it. I am not trying to compare to unemployed experienced and successful sales people (I let them be Smile ). I am looking for an opportunity to get in. Any job in this industry. And nobody knows yet how successful (or not) I am going to be. I prefer to be more optimistic Smile And it is not about money right now. It is about opportunity and getting an experience. Perfect time to learn. By the time when economics get better I will know exactly what I am going to be. So the question is still open. How to get in? I hope that experienced and successful sales people are not interested in working for turned down companies. Right? So how can I improve my chances to get it ? They are hiring.

PS: the person who got "my" job did not have any experience in real estate or New Home sales. Not even close (I saw his profile at Linkedin)... so I am looking for any useful advice because there is a possibility for me.

Don't why you would want to get into this at the worst time in new home sales ever. Makes no sense. BUT, if you are still going to, go to some single man offices like Highland, etc. Just builders that have one mans, and stop by and talk to the sales people, ask them if they know anyone that needs an assistant. Do that at as many offices as you can, and you might be able to get on as an assistant. Work as an assistant for a couple of years, then try to get on somewhere.
AZPopsicle
Dud?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am with the recent posters. Try to get a hosting job. I think we pay $11 or $13 an hour. I started there but I also worked in a restaurant at night. Hosting for a builder was basically half the pay of working in a restaurant, so I did both because I wanted to get my foot in too. I doubt that we are hiring any now, but I am sure there are a few places that could use someone a few days a week. Here in AZ we have a few of the temp places too (Hyland Bay, JWilliams Staffing, and Real Estate Temps) they send you out to different builders every day. A few of our sales people started there originally. The main Problem is we havent hired a community rep in 5 years and have little turnover. Just not enough spots for the good ones that we still have.

I enjoy this business and think its a great place to be. Obviously very tough right now, but there is some small glimmers of hope for the future. IF you think you will like it, and can afford it, try to start hosting.
Lost
Dud?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you guys I really appreciate your advice.
Could you please explain what exactly "onside sale" means in this industry?
mikestrong
Cherry Bomb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lost wrote:
Thank you guys I really appreciate your advice.
Could you please explain what exactly "onside sale" means in this industry?

Assume you me onsite sales. Just means we work oniste at the community for the bulder. Usually in a model but sometimes in trailer to start.
NewHomeDallas
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Grand has done it again. While every other builder gets many qualified resumes every week, Grand has to run an ad for sales people. When will they learn?

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic