FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

Grand Homes hiring every week.... View next topic
View previous topic

msperinni
Dud?

Re: Grand Homes hiring every week....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks so much for all of the good advice and information.

I am so worried, (my daughter is 22) and I just want the best for her... I guess I should have told her to become an RN like her mom and aunt...

Donethat, thanks so much for that advice, I had never heard of David Weekly! I'm going to "mention it today"

90% turnover and 32 sales people...WOW!

I am learning alot on this board...
NewHomeDallas
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What we all failed to say is that there is no better job in the world, well maybe the QB of the Cowboys, than selling new homes onsite.

Your daughter is young, so if she can get a job, she will be in a great position when the market returns. It is worth the effort to knock on every door.
mikestrong
Cherry Bomb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

NewHomeDallas wrote:
What we all failed to say is that there is no better job in the world, well maybe the QB of the Cowboys, than selling new homes onsite.

Your daughter is young, so if she can get a job, she will be in a great position when the market returns. It is worth the effort to knock on every door.

It is a great job, but can be very hard on relationships and familes. There is a very high divorce rate with new home sales peoples. It almost got mine before I found the right balance, but I do love my job.
realestateforu
Dud?

Turnover in Real Estate
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Having been a Realtor and a New Home Sales Manager, this is the reason there is high turn-over:

THIS IS NOT AN EASY JOB!

People enter this industry with the high hopes of being their own boss, setting their own hours and making a ton of money.

In reality there are few individuals who have the dedication, committment, drive, leadership and compassion to do this job well.

They usually figure it out within 3-6 months (sometimes much less) and poof, are gone! You see it more in the Home Building side because the sales consultants are placed in an actual model to sell and come in contact with a lot of people. Real estate agents come and go so frequently but the high turnover is much less visible to the general public.

If your daughter has a good attitude, likes being coached and mentored and is dedicated, she will do well. No matter where she is.

I was with Grand for 2 weeks at a close out community and proved myself by prospecting my butt off, creating traffic flow by organizing events and marketing. I was immediately moved to a high profile community where I worked for 2 years. I had the best partner (who moved to a neighboring community to manage) and then partook in the revolving door of 3 new agents, who all left for varying reasons. None of them because they didn't have enough opportunities to sell. I enjoyed the weekly sales training and meeting, the mentoring, coaching and accountability. I enjoyed being part of a very diverse team. (Builders are a completely different mentality than salesmen!) Smile And it didn't bother me at all to be a little micro-managed. If you are doing your job well, it doesn't become an issue.

It is a multi-faceted job. You have to wear many hats, be a jack of all trades in a way. Not everyone is cut out for it.

Good luck to your daughter!
mikestrong
Cherry Bomb

Re: Turnover in Real Estate
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

realestateforu wrote:
Having been a Realtor and a New Home Sales Manager, this is the reason there is high turn-over:

THIS IS NOT AN EASY JOB!

People enter this industry with the high hopes of being their own boss, setting their own hours and making a ton of money.

In reality there are few individuals who have the dedication, committment, drive, leadership and compassion to do this job well.

They usually figure it out within 3-6 months (sometimes much less) and poof, are gone! You see it more in the Home Building side because the sales consultants are placed in an actual model to sell and come in contact with a lot of people. Real estate agents come and go so frequently but the high turnover is much less visible to the general public.

If your daughter has a good attitude, likes being coached and mentored and is dedicated, she will do well. No matter where she is.

I was with Grand for 2 weeks at a close out community and proved myself by prospecting my butt off, creating traffic flow by organizing events and marketing. I was immediately moved to a high profile community where I worked for 2 years. I had the best partner (who moved to a neighboring community to manage) and then partook in the revolving door of 3 new agents, who all left for varying reasons. None of them because they didn't have enough opportunities to sell. I enjoyed the weekly sales training and meeting, the mentoring, coaching and accountability. I enjoyed being part of a very diverse team. (Builders are a completely different mentality than salesmen!) Smile And it didn't bother me at all to be a little micro-managed. If you are doing your job well, it doesn't become an issue.

It is a multi-faceted job. You have to wear many hats, be a jack of all trades in a way. Not everyone is cut out for it.

Good luck to your daughter!

This may be true, but if you dont have a good(or at least a decent) location then you will fail in this industry now.
In the past a person could make a living in C locations, but not anymore.
I would never suggest a friend or relative get into the business now. The majority of people getting in now will fail. Thats a fact.

FYI. I have been doing new home sales for 10 years.

Also, people with experinece cannot stand micromangement. It makes sales people into trained monkeys, and takes away from their ablity to sell.
Lost
Dud?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Does anyone have any ideas how to get in a New Home Sales industry? I have no experience and no idea where to start. I tried a traditional way (job websites like careerbuilder, monster, indeed etc) and it did not work for me. It seems like my resume has never been received by employers .. even if no experience was required. I tried everything : New Home sale, New Home Greeter, New Home Hostess, whatever, just let me in. Maybe there is some magic word I should put in my Resume? Smile)
Actually, once I got an interview (phone and then in person) and I did not get a job because.... that was funny,,, I have no experience... Shocked Whattttt??? What was the interview about (30 minutes on the phone and 2,5 hours face to face)? We talked about my "no experience" on the phone at first place and the point was "I better hire a new fresh person with no experience but with right personality and teach him or her right way "..... Ah well. I always knew it it is all about connection. No matter what u put in your resume. If HR likes u u get a job even if you are stupid as a rock.. I guess my personality was not right enough for this particular employer after all. Okay... what about others who never answer and never gave me a chance ? What is wrong with me? Everyone started somewhere with no experience. Where?? How? I am good looking woman, I have a Master's Degree (in another field but still) and I have 15 year experience on executive level ( and yes again, in different field). English is my second language but I have seen so many sales ppl in New Home sale who's English was not great at all but they got a job. How did they get it?
Any advice?
Thanks.
NewHomeDallas
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lost:

You have zero chance of getting hired and it has nothing to do with you. The only job you could get is for a builder or location that everyone in the business turned down; I know of many of those. Unfortunately, you would make no money.

With the state of the new home business, hundreds of very experienced and successful sales people are unemployed or under employed. I know several company's top sales people who are looking to move but no one is hiring. If I ran an ad for sales people, I would bet that I would get at least 50 from top rated sales people. I talked to one builder who gets as many as 25 resums per month from people in a good market he would hire in a minute.

Compare it to a newly graduated teacher. With hundreds if not thousands of expereinced teachers being layed off or forced into early retirement; would a school district hire a newbie or one of those experoinced teachers?
mikestrong
Cherry Bomb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

NewHomeDallas wrote:
Lost:

You have zero chance of getting hired and it has nothing to do with you. The only job you could get is for a builder or location that everyone in the business turned down; I know of many of those. Unfortunately, you would make no money.

With the state of the new home business, hundreds of very experienced and successful sales people are unemployed or under employed. I know several company's top sales people who are looking to move but no one is hiring. If I ran an ad for sales people, I would bet that I would get at least 50 from top rated sales people. I talked to one builder who gets as many as 25 resums per month from people in a good market he would hire in a minute.

Compare it to a newly graduated teacher. With hundreds if not thousands of expereinced teachers being layed off or forced into early retirement; would a school district hire a newbie or one of those experoinced teachers?

Exactly. Too many people with too much experience need jobs.
Houston Builder
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mikestrong wrote:
NewHomeDallas wrote:
Lost:

Exactly. Too many people with too much experience need jobs.

Have to agree with you guys
Lost
Dud?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

NewHomeDallas wrote:
Lost:

Thank you, NewHomeDalls for your opinion. Well, by my humble opinion there is a huge principal difference between "zero chance of getting hired" and "job you could get is for a builder or location that everyone in the business turned down". So it is not a zero chances I see. There is a chance is not it. I am not trying to compare to unemployed experienced and successful sales people (I let them be Smile ). I am looking for an opportunity to get in. Any job in this industry. And nobody knows yet how successful (or not) I am going to be. I prefer to be more optimistic Smile And it is not about money right now. It is about opportunity and getting an experience. Perfect time to learn. By the time when economics get better I will know exactly what I am going to be. So the question is still open. How to get in? I hope that experienced and successful sales people are not interested in working for turned down companies. Right? So how can I improve my chances to get it ? They are hiring.

PS: the person who got "my" job did not have any experience in real estate or New Home sales. Not even close (I saw his profile at Linkedin)... so I am looking for any useful advice because there is a possibility for me.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic