FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

Grand Homes hiring every week.... View next topic
View previous topic

msperinni
Dud?

Grand Homes hiring every week....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Why does Grand Homes post jobs on careerbuilder every week? My daughter would like to work for this company, I AM AGAINST THIS!!!

Does Grand Homes have a high turnover rate?
mortgagemaster
Dud?

Grand Homes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Concerned Parent,

Yes, Grand has a reputation for high turnover. They have very few associates with much tenure. Has she applied with other companies? If she does go to Grand my guess is that after one sales meeting (or shall I call it a screaming match?) she will look for a way out. Smile
Triedntrue
Flash in the pan

Grand's Revolving Door
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Concerned Parent,

I have had many ex assistants go to Grand for "training" and then would go elsewhere. However I have heard from several Sales Managers on this board who said they would never hire anyone with Grand on their resume.

Tell your daughter to RUN not walk...to the nearest exit!!
msperinni
Dud?

Re: Grand Homes hiring every week....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I am a concerned parent. Smile

My daughter has been a real estate agent for about 3 years now and I really would like her to find something a bit more stable right now..

She has not applied at Grand Homes yet

She applied at McGuyer Homebuilders, did a phone interview and she told me that she has not heard back from that builder and feels that Grand would be better for her anyway. (uhhhhh)

Thanks, for answering that... I knew it was something even more fishy about Grand Homes...
NewHomeDallas
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

msperinni:

Most builders won't hire real estate agents. The main reason is time. Real estate agents control their time, they can schedule appointments around their schedule; whereas, onsite sales people have fixed hours and many early and late hours and work every weekend.

I have been in the business for many years, and can name on one hand the number of successful onsite sales people that were successful real estate agents before becoming a new home sales person. I can name many who didn't like the hours or micromanaging.

There is a reason that the two builders you name have to place ads; no successful sales person wants to work for them. In one case it's the micromanaging and control and in the other it's because only the few in the best locations make any money. In today's economy, builders are getting unsolicited resumes from experienced successful sales people. I just read an unsolicited resume from someone with over 20 years experience who consistantly was in the top five at their company.

Your daughter won't be happy starting at the bottom. If she were hired, she would be placed in the worst performing location. At Grand, she would be micromanaged and controlled but actually get some good training.
msperinni
Dud?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm.. that is crazy, builders not hiring licensed real estate professionals. I wish I would have just told my daughter to apply for a good builder instead of obtaining a license that is now going to hinder her from a position. Wow! I feel real bad now....

NewHomeDallas do you have any suggestions at all on a builder that might* hire a real estate agent... other than Grand Homes?? even if its an assistant position that will open the doors?
NewHomeDallas
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately no. Most builders won't even interview anyone with a real estate license. Some actually have it in their operating manuals that they won't hire anyone with a real estate license.

And she has no chance at an assistant's position with a real estate license. Every builder I know that actually hires assistants specifically won't hire anyone with a real estate license.

The problem is that in the past, builders have been burnt by real estate agents. We consider most agents "Tour Guides" not closers. They have been taught how to sell real estate differently than we teach and it's hard to unteach and reteach them. The other problem is that in the past, agents have either sold leads to their active real estate agent friends or they try to sell the builder's leads their real estate listings.

I shopped a town home community and the on-site agent spent the whole time trying to sell me different condos that they had lsited and made more money getting both the sales and listing commissions.
Nelson
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There are builders who use agents as hostesses (especially if they can "save' money with a realtor who only gets paid if they make a sale. Many times the onsite salesperson has the ability to find or hire the hostess, so I would have her visit different models in her desired area.

For the realtor it is better than sitting on an open house, because the builder provides the advertising to generate traffic, and as soon as the prospective buyer puts up the least resistance you can load them in the car and show them some foreclosures in the same neighborhood for less or take them to Horton and earn 7% on a spec.

Good luck to your daughter.

Cherry Bomb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

msperinni wrote:
Why does Grand Homes post jobs on careerbuilder every week? My daughter would like to work for this company, I AM AGAINST THIS!!!

I work near a Grand model. They have had 32 salesmen in 5 years and about the same for builders. Your daughter license is not a problem. I have a brokers license and have sold homes for 35 years and my license has never been a problem. I have never been asked to park my license with the state. It is a very hard time to get on with a good builder and at the present agents can often make more money. Try David Weekley. They hire and train and at least act like they value salesmen but is is an act. You can't make big money or last more than about 5 years. They do like women who know nothing about construction. Tell your daughter to get ready for culture shock. New homes industry is run by construction and not sales in nearly all companies. The tail wags the dog:)
mikestrong
Cherry Bomb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

msperinni wrote:

It has about a 90% turnover rate in sales. Horrible place to work, but it is a way to get experience to go to a better builder later.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic