FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

Grand Homes, Allen tx View next topic
View previous topic

rainfall
Dud?

Grand Homes, Allen tx
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been reading a lot about Grand Homes, and most of the feedback has been negative, but these feedback was given back b/w 2005 and 2007.
Given the fact that they were builder of the year this year, does this mean that in the past two years they have tried to improve their quality of homes? or what is 'best builder of the year' really mean?
We are planning on building a new home in Cumberland Crossing and like the different floor plans Grand Homes offers vs Drees, but it seems that Drees has much higher quality then Grand Homes. Any updates on Grand HOmes experience during 2008 and 2009 would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Done That
Cherry Bomb

Re: Grand Homes, Allen tx
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

rainfall wrote:
I have been reading a lot about Grand Homes, and most of the feedback has been negative, but these feedback was given back b/w 2005 and 2007.
Given the fact that they were builder of the year this year, does this mean that in the past two years they have tried to improve their quality of homes? or what is 'best builder of the year' really mean?
We are planning on building a new home in Cumberland Crossing and like the different floor plans Grand Homes offers vs Drees, but it seems that Drees has much higher quality then Grand Homes. Any updates on Grand HOmes experience during 2008 and 2009 would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Builder of the year means you bought a lot of seats to the dinner. Much like the Oscars all you have to do is belong to the association and support it financially. There are hundreds of different awards and everyone is going to win something. The only award that counts is the one given to you by your customers. For the last several years they have been at the very bottom or near the bottom of J.D. Power customer satisfaction. They built a lot of homes using Mexican brick. They have very high turn over in construction and sales which means lots of things fall through the cracks. The best test for a builder is knock on several doors and talk to the people who bought in your neighborhood. I have never seen another builder make so many mistakes like using two different brick selections on the same house. Not just one house but a few in the same location. Most buyers only judge a house on floor plan. Most buyers just can't judge the quality of a home.
Triedntrue
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you can't keep your employees (sales and construction revolving door) happy ain't no way the customers will be happy.

Run, don't walk.
heretostay
Dud?

BBB has them at an F.
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do the research and you will learn from others.
NewHomeDallas
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Grand has a terible reputation within the industry. As others have said, if you have high turnover, you aren't going to build a good house. Any company that has fired sales people because they were owed too much commission will do anything.

They actually have an answer in their training manual as to why they have so many CMs building a house. Occaisionally a CM will be moved during construction, but not three or four on a regular basis. They hire CMs that have never built a house. They also take very long to build a house.

Most companies put some options in the model. Grand puts everything in the model as optional. A friend of mine sat in a Grand model that the base model listed for $280,000. The model priced out at $435,000. To me, this is bait and switch.
ExInsider2
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, I've read through this thread and would like to weigh in... I have never worked for Grand but did consider the option. Based upon my obsevations over the years what I see is that 1. Yes, they have had a poor reputation over the years from the Real Estate market and by their homeowners on JD Power and 2. They are still caught up in "their way" of doing things.
I haven't necessarily seen them firing salespeople, the salespeople quit in most instances. You cannot deny that Grand sells homes, they do. You also cannot deny the fact that they also have to go through all the inspections that we all go through in homebuilding and a green tag is a green tag, agreed?
Where I see the problem is consistancy, and they need to hold onto their salespeople and their construction managers. It is the perception that keeps them at arms length of success, and what I mean by that is true success in the industry as a real player amongst the builders whose perceptions are that they build a great quality product at a fair price. Let me name a few... Paul Taylor, Drees, Highland, Darling, and there are others. These homebuilders understand the changing market and adapt themselves for the most part to this, and treat and pay their employees well to stay, because they understand that consistancy will say alot to the public. The homebuiilders I mentioned hold onto their people, so it filters down that it's the same people that the Realtors see over & over and it's the same people the buyers see over and over and throughout their building process. It's the culture that exemplifies professionalism from the inner circle outward and voila you have built the perception of people who care and believe in a product and take pride in their homebuilding. And lets face it, everyone would want a home where the employees take pride and ownership and act as a team throughout the build process. Consistant communication is key to a great building process and when you have a revolving door the communication is lost and greatly distorted. Until Grand changes from within and really wants that culture then the perception of "cheap" and "poor quality" will remain within the public eye. It will be a slow process but one they need to face. How you relate to a $150K buyer is quite different from a $500K buyer which is another area that needs to be addressed. They need to adapt, change and create the culture that they seek.
Done That
Cherry Bomb

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ExInsider2 wrote:
Ok, I've read through this thread and would like to weigh in... I have never worked for Grand but did consider the option. Based upon my obsevations over the years what I see is that 1. Yes, they have had a poor reputation over the years from the Real Estate market and by their homeowners on JD Power and 2. They are still caught up in "their way" of doing things.
I haven't necessarily seen them firing salespeople, the salespeople quit in most instances. You cannot deny that Grand sells homes, they do. You also cannot deny the fact that they also have to go through all the inspections that we all go through in homebuilding and a green tag is a green tag, agreed?
Where I see the problem is consistancy, and they need to hold onto their salespeople and their construction managers. It is the perception that keeps them at arms length of success, and what I mean by that is true success in the industry as a real player amongst the builders whose perceptions are that they build a great quality product at a fair price. Let me name a few... Paul Taylor, Drees, Highland, Darling, and there are others. These homebuilders understand the changing market and adapt themselves for the most part to this, and treat and pay their employees well to stay, because they understand that consistancy will say alot to the public. The homebuiilders I mentioned hold onto their people, so it filters down that it's the same people that the Realtors see over & over and it's the same people the buyers see over and over and throughout their building process. It's the culture that exemplifies professionalism from the inner circle outward and voila you have built the perception of people who care and believe in a product and take pride in their homebuilding. And lets face it, everyone would want a home where the employees take pride and ownership and act as a team throughout the build process. Consistant communication is key to a great building process and when you have a revolving door the communication is lost and greatly distorted. Until Grand changes from within and really wants that culture then the perception of "cheap" and "poor quality" will remain within the public eye. It will be a slow process but one they need to face. How you relate to a $150K buyer is quite different from a $500K buyer which is another area that needs to be addressed. They need to adapt, change and create the culture that they seek.
It is very true that a green tag is a green tag. Inspectors only inspect for code violations. Mexican brink that melts will pass code. Sloppy brick work with to much sand and brick of the wrong color will pass code. Most of the problems complained about on these threads are not a true code violation. Just plain cheap materials and sloppy construction that no one corrected. You get what you inspect not what you expect! I get upset with agents who are supposed to be looking out after the buyer interest taking buyers to bad builders. You can't get a good deal on a bad home.
REAL ANSWERS
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

rainfall wrote:
Thanks

Rainfall, I want you to think of yourself in a meeting room on an interview full of the quote unqoute 'BIG WIGS' or people who think they are 'BIG WIGS' and they ask you to stand up in a room full of other interviewees and give a five minute presentation about yourself. After that presentation they begin to ask probing questions that should be asked in a private setting not in front of 30 other people. Of which you obviously answer all of them the wrong way so they instead hire some old guy who has no experience in the business whatsoever and a fat lady with bad hair. Then several years later you are offered an opportunity by a former manager to come over and interview again. Luckily you miss the dog and pony show this time due to traffic. You get offered to meet with the manager Mike Mints, who is a unbelievably arrogant(not what I wanted to say,kept it clean) and he shows up an hour late to your interview and acts as if it's your fault. Then begins to ask you what your goals are for the next five years, bla bla bla and has the audacity to explain to you about their high expectations of people. I'm just glad I finally had my turn to tell them I wasn't interested. This company is a joke and all I have ever heard is negative. You don't know because you are on the outside looking in on this industry. Feel free to stop in at any model and act as if you work for another builder and are considering working there and you will easily find out how quickly everyone tells you not to. And no I don't have a personal vendetta against this company. I'm just sick of reading all the pathetic responses on this blog. It's time for the REAL ANSWERS and I'm going to start giving them. Thank you!!!

Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A green card isn't necessarily a green card. In some smaller cities you have inspectors that are political appointees and not qualified. I inherited a house that a previous sales person had sold but it busted out and a previous CM had built and recieved the green card and CO.

My buyer's inspector found 157 building code violations including an impproperly vented hot water heater in the attic.

Luckily for me, my buyer said that it wasn't a deal killer, all he wanted was the house built up to code. My CM corrected all the problems and the house closed.

My builder rebated the buyer's inspector's fee to the buyer after the closing so as to not create a conflict of interest and hired him to inspect some other COed specs that we had. He found code violations, but not as many.

I'm not saying they are dishonest, just not qualified.
TexasGrown
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yea right...your not saying...! You never say anything positive. You are a negative person. Good luck in your life! LOL!

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic