FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

Grand Homes - How do they it ? View next topic
View previous topic

doubletrouble
Dud?

Grand Homes - How do they it ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They sell quite a few homes to the Immigrant community who only sees the nice designs and tend to ignore the bad complaints. The folowing is from a post on another forum:

How come they win soo many awards if they are bad builder I just dont ubderstand???????

Lee Evans Award for Business Management Excellence
Numerous Texas Star Awards
DFW Builder of the Year, 2005, 2009 & 2010
America’s Best Builder 2011
Consumers Choice Awards 4 Consecutive years, 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010.

I have a feeling I know where these awards come from but thought I'd ask the pros. Never understood how someone could be 2011 builder of the year in January 2011. seems like that would come in Nov or Dec.
Crow
Cherry Bomb

Awards are often meaningless.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to do quite a bit of research into govt documents as well as internet complaints, etc. This was done in part to verify the existance of problems and/or their legitimacy and seriousness. Though I haven't done that in years now, what I learned is that a lot of industry awards, stellar ratings, BBB awards, etc, are basically bought and paid for by corporate memberships, self nomination, cronyism, cooking the statistics, etc. (Certainly not limited to the homebuilding industry.) I've seen more instances of award winning co's also being investigated and fined for law violations by the govt than I could possibly remember now. And that doesn't even count the many times they may have been sued or had numerous complaints on them that went nowhere due to customers' inability to hold them accountable by any practical or affordable means, and/or arbitration that prevented suing.

Also, I suspect that a number of the foreclosures in new developments now are due not only to toxic loans pushed by builders' in house mortgage companies, but also construction defect cases. After all, if you bought a house, found it defective, AND were upside down in a toxic loan, would you pour more money into fixing it or trying to force the builder to fix it thru the legal system, (or worse, the sham that is arbitration)? I doubt it. I think people are just walking away. If an award winning builder has developments like this, those awards are even more riduculous sounding.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic