FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

David Powers Homes - Houston View next topic
View previous topic

th71
Flash in the pan

Re: David Powers Homes - Houston
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Now I am told that DPH is still in business (after being told yesterday that they closed last Friday) and they have contracted with a company here in Houston to complete all the homes he has under constrcution.

The individual who oversees all construction for DPH is no longer employed...I hear he was fired last Friday.

So if you're building a home with DPH, who is now in charge???

This continues to be the most expensive lesson I have ever learned.

Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

th71,
I just read through this thread it is alarming what some are saying. I'm here to tell you, if you close on your home thinking, you have a clear title, you may be shocked to find out that is not the case. If DPH has not paid the contractors, vendors, subs etc. and DPH should file bankruptcy, then those constractors, vendors, subs etc. can file liens, against you and against your home.
I know because it happened to me and is continuing. My builder is still not paying those who are foolish enough work for them, some are doing small amounts of work in hopes they will get what is owed them. However, there aren't many, who will do any work for MH.
Beware of what you are getting yourself into, get all the information you can. Be very careful who you trust and remember, they just want your money.
Never would I have believed someone could place a lien on my home, months after the closing, but it happened to me.

Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

David Powers Homes has enlisted Buildology to complete the homes that are under construction.

You won't believe the information you'll find at http://ibuildology.com/

Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is what I found out about this website, it looks a little fishy.

Untitled Document

Protocol: Hyper Text Transfer Protocol

Type: HTML Document

Connection: Not Encrpted

Address: http://ibuildology.com/
(URL)

Size: 425 bytes

Created: 2/26/09

Modified: 2/26/09

Flash in the pan

Re: LIENS ARE GOING TO BE AND HAVE BEEN PLACED
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

D Powers Homes shut their doors last week, laid off all employees. Top management hasn't been paid in six weeks.

unknownsource wrote:
To just let you ...They owe a lot of people a lot of money and there is a class action suit about to be filed from vendors, myself included.

If I had a dime for every "class action suit about to be filed", I could finally retire and get away from this home-building quagmire. Laughing
T-7250
Dud?

Concerns with David Powers Homes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I posted this reply to another thread about David Powers homes and thought it would be good if I posted it here as well:

I was just looking for current information on the status of David Powers Homes when I saw this and another posting related to DPH. I was told numerous times that they had a great reputation but obviously I waited too long to dig deeper into the company.
My story is the same as most of the others. We signed to purchase a DPH home in January or 2008, have deposited $12,000. with them and were told the house would be completed within 6-9 months. I live in another state so after realizing 6 months into the contract that they had not even cleared the lot I flew out to Houston when I was stood up on an appointment with the onsite builder we said we wanted to cancel the contract. They apologized up and down, shaved some money off the contract and provided a letter stating that they guaranteed to finish the home by December 31st 2008 or all deposits would be refunded.
Needless to say, we then expected the home to be completed by November '08, then December '08, then they said January, then February, them March/April and finally June.
We cancelled over one month ago now, signed the cancellation forms they provided us, attached the guaranteed deposits back letter and were verbally told the money would be returned. Now after phone calls have not been returned we have found out that they laid off all employees except family members, moved the office to one of their model homes and supposedly have not paid the employees that were let go for the previous two months that they had worked.
I will continue to try to contact them but wonder if any of you know what other recourse should be taken. I read that vendors have filed a class action lawsuit and others have filed liens on the various properties. Do those of you with experience have suggestions on how to approach this? I have never had to do this before and don't like that it would have to be done but this is the second time a builder in a subdivision (who had a good reputation) has done this to us and as you all know it is really hard to have your hard earned money stolen this way. I'm sure that good builders don't like how this type of thing tarnishes the reputation of their industry either.
Thanks in advance for your responses.........
neveragain
Cherry Bomb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you live in Houson at this time or are you still out of state?
T-7250
Dud?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To Neveragain,

We still live out of state, never made the move bacause we were waiting for the house to be completed first...
houston
Nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just wondering if you resolved the issue of your $12,000 deposit with DPH?

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic