FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

ANWR - the real story? View next topic
View previous topic

Robin
Sentinel

ANWR - the real story?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Got this in my email - have a read, look at the pics and comment...

FIRST… do you know what ANWR is?
ANWR = Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Now… A comparison

And some perspective…

NOTE WHERE THE PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT AREA IS…

(it's in the "ANWR Coastal Plain")

THIS IS WHAT THE DEMOCRATS, LIBERALS AND "GREENS" SHOW YOU WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT ANWR

…and they are right… these ARE photographs of ANWR

Image Image

ISN'T ANWR BEAUTIFUL? WHY SHOULD WE DRILL HERE (AND DESTROY) THIS BEAUTIFUL PLACE?

WELL… THAT'S NOT EXACTLY THE TRUTH

Do you remember the map?
The map showed that the proposed drilling area is in the ANWR Coastal Plain
Do those photographs look like a coastal plain to you?

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?

THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE…

THAT IS NOT WHERE THEY ARE WANTING TO DRILL!

THIS IS WHAT THE PROPOSED EXPLORATION AREA ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE IN THE WINTER

AND THIS IS WHAT IT ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE IN THE SUMMER

Image Image Image

HERE ARE A COUPLE SCREEN SHOTS FROM GOOGLE EARTH

AS YOU CAN SEE, THE AREA WHERE THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT DRILLING IS A BARREN WASTELAND.

OH… AND THEY SAY THAT THEY ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE EFFECT ON THE LOCAL WILDLIFE…

HERE IS A PHOTO (SHOT DURING THE SUMMER) OF THE
"DEPLETED WILDLIFE" SITUATION CREATED BY
DRILLING AROUND PRUDHOE BAY *…
DON'T YOU THINK THAT THE CARIBOU REALLY HATE THAT DRILLING?

HERE'S THAT SAME SPOT DURING THE WINTER.

HEY, THIS BEAR SEEMS TO REALLY HATE THE PIPELINE NEAR PRUDHOE BAY *…
*The Prudhoe bay area accounts for 17% of U.S. domestic oil production

NOW, WHY DO YOU THINK THAT THE DEMOCRATS ARE LYING ABOUT ANWR?

REMEMBER WHEN AL GORE SAID THAT
THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD WORK TO ARTIFICIALLY RAISE GAS PRICES
TO $5.00 A GALLON?
WELL…

AL GORE AND HIS FELLOW DEMOCRATS HAVE ALMOST REACHED THEIR GOAL!

NOW THAT YOU KNOW THAT THE DEMOCRATS HAVE BEEN LYING,
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?

YOU CAN START BY FORWARDING THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW…
SO THAT THEY WILL KNOW THE TRUTH
brokerjohn
Schumpeter Reincarnate

Re: ANWR - the real story?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mars Lander Discovers Oil

PASADENA, CA - NASA's Phoenix Lander, while searching for frozen water and organic compounds on the Martian surface, discovered today what appears to be crude oil instead. A secondary experiment, built by the Halliburton Corporation and included late in the mission planning, drilled 3 meters into the barren planet to make the find. The discovery, which may be good news for driver's pocketbooks, has some conservation groups crying foul.

"It appears we've been hoodwinked." said Robin Mann, Vice President of the Sierra Club. "If we had known they were planning to drill up there we would have put a stop to it. The Martian environment is so fragile that we're not even sure if it can support life. The last thing we need to do is destroy it for profit." Sierra and other conservation groups recently made plans to have Mars declared a wildlife sanctuary once life was discovered there.

Industry experts say the find may be too late to ease fuel prices by the end of the summer travel season. Although the estimated reserves are believed to be 3 trillion barrels, it may take some time to transport the crude oil to Earth. Halliburton, who gained mineral rights to Mars with a no-bid contract award, plans to begin pipeline construction immediately.

Meanwhile, conservation groups and Martian environmentalists vow to fight further drilling. "It's bad enough we exploit our own planet." said Mann. "Do we have to destroy Mars, too? If we don't make a stand now, the next thing you know they'll be looking for oil on Uranus."

– Plato
thebfgb
Schumpeter Reincarnate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good post Robin. Funny how close the drill sites are to Prudhoe Bay.
Robin
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

brokerjohn - that was too funny! Laughing

Became instantly fascinated with this as I looked deeper - haven't really followed the issue over the years beyond holding an ambiguous opinion that responsible oil exploration should be ok - and Sierra can be just as nutty as PITA.

Of course, Sierra has an entire area of their site dedicated to the issue:
http://www.sierraclub.org/arctic

Two sides to everything... I found this:
http://www.americansforjobsandenergy.org/anwr.html

This sums both up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.....ontroversy

What I found amusing was the Sierra Club's Google file you can download into Google Earth. Here's a snapshot:

As you look at this Google View, compare to the previous views. I've centered the image over the rectangular area that my email identified as the "proposed drilling site" with a wide enough view to pick up Prudhoe Bay in the upper left, and the closest native village of Kaktovik on the upper right. The section outlined in bold pink lines with the ostentatiously large white arrow pointing to it is the section of ANWR defined as "Area 1002" (or ten-two, as it's referred to).

- Note the locations of photo icons in relation to the proposed site - these are where those photos of pristine Alaskan scenery & wildlife came from (nowhere near the proposed site).

- Note also the special icons denoting the locations of both the Central Arctic and Porcupine caribou herds.

- The black drops, as you may well guess, indicate existing explorations.

- Orange&Red "bullseyes" indicate seismic activity.

Just for kicks - here's the text displayed when you click the icon for the Porcupine Herd:

Quote:
Porcupine Herd
The Porcupine Herd heads for the coastal plain in Late May where they typically give birth to 40-50,000 calves.
The Coastal Plain is where the 1002 Area is where oil development would occur.
Looking at the Central Artic Herd -- a smaller herd to the West with a smaller range -- calving grounds have moved South and West as oil development has intensified.
Because of the Brook's Range of Mountains, the Porcupine Herd does not have the same freedom. The density of predators (wolves, grizzlies and golden eagles) intensifies as one gets closer to the Brooks Range.
Source: http://www.absc.usgs.gov/1002/section6.htm

Nice job, Sierra - couldn't even spell "Arctic" right. Hey - just where is that "boundary" you mention... the Brook's Range? Looks a bit south of the site, according to topographical maps.

Conveniently, we find this pic of the Porcupine Herd's territory with Area 1002 clearly defined on a site dedicated to tracking the herd's annual migrations ( http://www.taiga.net/satellite/index.html ).

Interesting - their territory extends well into and southeast of the Brook's Range, with "ten-two" (and our proposed site) being a tiny section of the remote northwestern sector?

Oh wait, it get's better. Let's see where these critters really ARE.

Most recently this past Winter, December of '07 thru March of '08:

And last Spring/Summer? Where did they all go to calve?

Hmmm... not even into the eastern boundary of Area 1002.

Just to be fair, we took a look at historical data including the Central Arctic herd as well. Here's a map of their over-lapping territories done by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service ( http://arctic.fws.gov/cariboumaps.htm ):

And another, showing a 22-yr calving pattern for the Porcupine Herd:

Okay kids, let's have a look at this now from an updated USGS Survey done in 2005 ( http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-0028-01/fs-0028-01.htm - gleaned from that Wikipedia article):
Quote:
Most of the oil is estimated to occur in the western, undeformed part of the ANWR 1002 area, which is closest to existing infrastructure.

Hmm... looks like both herds share the territory but are largely isolated from the proposed site. Here's a couple more lovely pics of this "environment abundant with wildlife" we should believe will be decimated (taken from various sources mentioned above):

Image Image

Draw your own conclusions.
FIXMYLOAN
Consigliere

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Go ahead and drill, but place a bond sufficient to cover any potential clean-up...Nothing we don't ask developers to do in NJ.

Meanwhile - nah, I'll save it for when I already own stock in the company Wink

Robin - will pm you later on this.

"If they'll lie FOR you, they'll lie TO you"
brokerjohn
Schumpeter Reincarnate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This just made me hungry for caribou.

I really have a difficult time believing the side of the oil companies.

It is not that I think big business is evil, but it does not weight the value of the environment to the needs of humans on this planet.

Primarily, I am still pissed about BP petitioning the State of Indiana to allow BP to dump additional byproduct waste into Lake Michigan.

You have to be insane to eat any fish from the lake as it sits, and BP and Indiana want to add Mercury to an already polluted lake and increase the amount of ammonia to our drinking water supply.

Quote:
Federal records analyzed by the Tribune show BP puts 2 pounds of mercury into the lake every year from its sprawling plant 3 miles southeast of Chicago in Whiting, Ind. That amount is small compared with the mercury that falls into the water from air pollution, but mercury builds up in the environment and is so toxic that even tiny drops can threaten fish and people.

Quote:
BP already is drawing fierce opposition to its plans to dump significantly more ammonia and suspended solids into Lake Michigan. Although the amounts are still below federal water quality guidelines, BP's new permit marks the first time in years that a company has been allowed to increase the amount of pollution pumped into the lake, a magnet for sport fishing and the source of drinking water for Chicago and scores of other communities.

– Plato
title_gal
Demolition Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great thread! I got this email to and was going to look into it. Today is family movie day though so will pop back in later!

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison - 1788
Robin
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I believe now, after more research, that the source of the original email was generated from within www.anwr.org - a proponent of the cause - and this most recent circulation and stirring of debate was likely brought about by
Rep. Donald Young [R-AK] and H.R. 6107 ( http://www.govtrack.us/congres.....=h110-6107 ) - the American Energy Independence and Price Reduction Act, introduced 5/21/2008.

The sheer amount of information out there (on the web) both pro and con is literally overwhelming.

One place I personally found interesting: http://steese.blogspot.com. For those not involved in geocaching, it is seemingly irrelevant. I've never attempted a cache above level 3 (in difficulty), and this would probably rate a solid 5 (max). Wouldn't it be great to get both written and photographic confirmation from a group of fellow bloggers near the area?

I'm still looking (or hoping someone will post) definitive proof of the exact location of the proposed drilling site (hoping for precise coordinates as defined in a legal description). Nothing I've found/read so far isolates this specific point. Based on the Google Map pinpoints shown in the original email, I'll guesstimate the proposed site is somewhere near 69deg 56min N and 145deg 50min W.
poorprocessor
C-4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice! another accomplishment for "my man Mitch"...I'm glad I don't like fish anyway...

Schumpeter Reincarnate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the most important point that is missed in all of this is what the citizens of Alaska actually think since it is in their back yard. Most of what I have seen has said that the majority of Alaskans (including natives) favor opening up ANWR.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic